How to set up your Google Analytics account
To enable Google Analytics:
- From the Google Analytics homepage, click Sign in. (you should have a Google or Gmail account set up)
- Click Analytics in the drop-drown menu.
- Choose the account you want to sign in with, or click Add account to sign in with another Google account that you don't see listed.
- Once you've signed in, click Admin.
- In the ACCOUNT column, use the menu to select the account to which you want to add the property.
- In the PROPERTY column, select Create new property from the menu.
- Select Website
- Enter the Website Name
- Enter the Web Site URL. (for example, https://www.yoursite.com or http://www.yoursite.com - don't use a slash "/" at the end)
- Select an Industry Category.
- Select the Reporting Time Zone.
Click Get Tracking ID at the bottom of the page to complete signup. Copy the code. Your property is created after you click this button, but you must set up the tracking code to collect data.
- On the next page, you'll see a lot of information and options. The only thing you need is the tracking ID code snippet that Google provides.
Then, you must add the code to your website:
- Find your tracking ID. You'll use this tracking ID in the tracking code snippet.
- Copy and paste the gtag.js tracking code snippet to each web page you want to track. Add the tracking code snippet right after the opening
<head>tag on each page.
- To verify that the tracking code is working, visit your website and check to see that your visit is being registered in the Real-Time reports.