How do Promoted Tweets work?
Promoted Tweets are ‘regular’ Tweets, purchased by businesses who want to reach a wider group of users or to spark engagement from their existing followers. They act just like regular Tweets and can be retweeted, replied to, favorited and more. They are clearly labeled as Promoted when an advertiser is paying for their placement on Twitter, so your Twitter audience will know.
Using Promoted Tweets you can:
- Drive website traffic by asking users to click on your best content
- Offer coupons and deals in the copy of your Tweets
- Drive leads using Lead Generation Cards
- Promote sales and giveaways
- Expand the reach of your content like blog posts, white papers, and more
- Connect with influencers and brand advocates by ensuring they see your content
- Promote awareness around events and product launches
- Ask for retweets to gain an even broader audience for your messages
Where do users see Promoted Tweets?
- At the top of relevant search results pages on twitter.com. Promoted Tweets from our advertising partners are called out at the top of some search results pages on Twitter.com and through select ecosystem partners.
- In Search Results for a Promoted Trend. Users may also see a Promoted Tweet in the search results when they click on a Promoted Trend.
- Home Timelines. Promoted Tweets may be visible within a user’s timeline if an advertiser has promoted a Tweet that is relevant to that user.
- Enhanced profile pages. Brands or partners with enhanced profile pages may choose to pin a Promoted Tweet to the top of their timelines.
- Official Twitter clients. Promoted Tweets from our advertising partners may also be displayed through Twitter’s official desktop and mobile clients, including TweetDeck, Twitter for iPhone, and Twitter for Android, among others.
- Third-party Twitter clients. We are currently syndicating our Promoted Products suite to some third-party Twitter clients, including HootSuite..
How does Twitter determine which Promoted Tweets to display in a user’s timeline?
- A Promoted Tweet will appear in a user’s timeline only if the Tweet is likely to be interesting and relevant to that user.
- The Twitter platform uses a variety of signals to determine which Promoted Tweets are relevant to users, including what a user chooses to follow, how they interact with a Tweet, what they retweet, and more.